As an affiliate for several companies, if you click on the links on this website and make a qualifying purchase, I'll earn a commission. For more information, please see my full Disclosure Policy.
I don’t know about you, but I’d rather make an easy cookie cake at home and keep my money in my pocket? They aren’t difficult, nor are they expensive, to make and don’t have to be difficult to decorate.
I’ve seen cookie cakes at the grocery store for a while, but am so turned off by the price tag. For one, it would take a couple of them to feed my family and $12 or $13 each is just too rich for my pocketbook.
What Type of Dough Should You Use For a Cookie Cake?
You can make homemade cookie dough if you prefer, but you could also use store-bought dough.
To make baking easier on myself, I buy packaged rolls of cookie dough that you either spoon out of the roll or cut off, not the dough in the flat packages that breaks off into cookies.
One day in the future, I hope to have enough time to try making a cookie cake with my grandmother’s easy chocolate chip cookie recipe. However, during this season, I’ll have to stick with store-bought.
How Should You Bake a Cookie Cake?
Your cookie baking time will depend on the flavor cookie you prefer, pan size, and thickness of your cookie.
Choosing a Flavor
We’re chocolate chip cookie people, so we make chocolate chip cookie cakes. The bake time is a little longer for chocolate chip cookie dough than sugar cookie dough. So, if you’re group prefers sugar cookies, you’ll need to adjust your baking time accordingly.
Cookie Cake Pan Size
Thickness of Your Cookie Cake
Using my large pan, I use one and a half 30-ounce packages of cookie dough. Our cookie cake is about a half-inch thick.
What You’ll Need for an Easy Cookie Cake…
- Cookie dough, store-bought or homemade, the amount will depend on the size of your cookie sheet, pizza pans may only use one 30-ounce package
- Colored icing (store-bought or homemade)(My family loves homemade buttercream icing, so that’s what I make. I use this recipe.)
How to Make an Easy Cookie Cake at Home…
- First, press your cookie dough onto the pan. If using store-bought cookie dough, you may need to pinch the edges of the different pieces of cookie dough sections together as they may try to separate during baking.
- Next, bake your cookie at 350 degrees for approximately 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown. Again, this will vary according to your oven and what flavor cookie dough you’re using. Sugar cookie dough may not take as long.
- Then, wait for the cookie to completely cool.
- Using the icing, decorate the cooled cookie.
Decorating Your Cookie Cake
I cheat sometimes, though and use a sandwich bag and just cut the corner. This works great for personalizing cakes or cookie cakes and is so simple.
You can use the Wilton decorator tips to make stars, flowers, or just an uncomplicated ribbon of icing around the outside. Making a random pattern around the cookie cake, and then sprinkling mini M&Ms or other favorite candy over the icing is also an easy way to decorate your cookie cake.
Wanna see how I make cute kids’ cakes? Check out this post!