As an affiliate for several companies, if you click on the links on this website and make a qualifying purchase, I'll earn a commission. For more information, please see my full Disclosure Policy.
Easy Kid-Friendly Spinach Tortellini Soup with Sausage
Spinach. Nothing brings on feelings of love and hate like dark, leafy, green vegetables. When I was a kid I was forced to eat leafy green monsters in the form of turnip greens. (I didn’t die, although, as I child I thought I just might.) But boy, do I wish my mother had known about this Easy Kid-Friendly Spinach and Cheese Tortellini Soup with Sausage recipe instead of just feeding us turnip greens. As an adult I’ve developed a different relationship with these vitamin-packed plants. I now eat spinach, turnip greens, and on occasion, kale. I have an appreciation for them and what they can do for my body.
My children, however, DO NOT share my appreciation. And anytime I can stuff green vegetables down their little throats, uhem, get them to try green vegetables is a BIG WIN in our house.
So, I had an epiphany one day…
My kids love spaghetti. It’s just about the only meal I can serve that everyone eats without complaining. I thought, “Why can’t I combine pasta and spinach and spaghetti sauce?”
Then I thought, “Spaghetti noodles wouldn’t go very good in a spinach soup. We need something heartier.” I started Googling spinach recipes and altered a few to fit our taste, time, and budget and came up with a recipe that my kids will actually eat.
Easy Kid-Friendly Spinach and Cheese Tortellini Soup with Sausage
What you’ll need…
- 1 lb.- 2 lbs. of sausage We use breakfast sausage because I’m not an Italian sausage fan.
- 1 large can of tomato juice
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- 2 – 19 oz. pkgs. of frozen cheese tortellini You can use the packages that sit on the shelf, but the frozen is sooooo much better. We use the store brand, nothing fancy.
- 1 bag of fresh spinach I use about ¾ of a bag from the grocery store, not the great big bag from Sam’s or Costco.
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves
- ½ - 1 c. of onion
- ½ - 1 tsp. of oregano
- ½ - 1 tsp. of Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pkg. of shredded mozzarella
How to make it…
- In a big stockpot, fry your sausage over medium heat with the garlic, oregano, Italian seasoning, and onion. When browned, drain off the fat and return to the stockpot.
- Add in the tomato sauce, tomato juice, and a little salt and pepper.
- Slowly bring this up to a boil so the flavors have time to mingle, give it maybe 15 minutes.
- Then, add your desired amount of spinach.
- Cook this for about 5 minutes.
- Add your tortellini last. Follow the package instructions for your tortellini. DO NOT OVERCOOK! Overcooking will make the tortellini fall apart. (Who’s done this more than once? ME!)
How to serve it…Serve it up in bowls and top with mozzarella cheese while it’s hot. Crusty French Bread would go beautifully with this soup. Or, you could do it my way and buy the sliced, garlic cheese bread from the freezer section of your grocery store. Either way, this soup is delicious!
Need something sweet to pair with this delightful dinner? Why not try baking some cookies with the kiddos. My grandmother’s Quick and Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe will be a sure-fire hit!
Looking for more great kid-friendly spinach recipes?
Check out 7 Sneaky Spinach Recipes For Kids.