Try A Twist on Taco Tuesday with Taco Soup
My kids have recently started asking questions like, “Momma, what’s Taco Tuesday?” and “Why don’t we have a Taco Tuesday?” Taco soup would make a great Taco Tuesday recipe.
So, I’ve begun to try and accommodate their need to have a dish one night of the week that just sounds cool. I mean, in our house, we all LOVE tacos, but having them EVERY Tuesday is a bit much.
Therefore, I’ve been trying to mix it up a little bit and go more with a “taco” taste.
This Taco Soup recipe is one that I use to mix up the ever-increasing mundaneness of Taco Tuesday. The hubs likes it, the kids like it, and it takes less prep work than actually preparing the fixings for tacos = LESS KITCHEN TIME. GO ME!
Easy Taco Soup
- 1 pound of ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 a medium onion chopped
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 package of dry ranch dressing mix we use the dip mix
- 1 - 15 ounce can of pinto beans
- 1 - 15 ounce can of black beans
- 1 - 15 ounce can of whole kernel corn
- 1 - 15 ounce can of dark red kidney beans
- 2 - 15 ounce can of tomato sauce crushed tomatoes can be used, if preferred
- 1 - 10 ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- corn or tortilla chips
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream optional
- Brown hamburger or turkey with onion, drain, and prepare with the taco seasoning as you would for tacos.
- Open black beans, drain and rinse.
- Open and empty all other cans into the Crockpot or slow cooker. (Add the rinsed black beans too.) Then, turn it on HIGH.
- Stir in prepared meat.
- Add ranch packet.
- Stir and cover. This cooks for about 4 hours and will be ready to eat.
Some recipes for this soup have you add water and drain all of your beans, but we like the bold flavor of this particular recipe. If your family doesn’t like so much boldness, try draining the beans and adding a couple of cups of water. If they’d rather have more bites of tomatoes, try using stewed, crushed, or diced tomatoes instead of the tomato sauce. I don’t like dark red kidney beans, so, on occasion, I use light red instead.
Make it work for you and yours and this could be a family favorite for years to come.
Hope you enjoy!
Want to try another soup recipe? This Bacon Cheeseburger Soup is sooooo goooooodddddd!
As an affiliate for several companies, if you click on the links on this website and make a qualifying purchase, I'll earn a commission. For more information, please see my full Disclosure Policy.